Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
Health Benefits of Turmeric (Haldi) | Scientifically Proven- Turmeric, also known as Haldi. The scientific name for turmeric is Curcuma longa. It is an ancient Indian spice. Used widely in Indian kitchen cooking most of the vegetables. This is also a medicinal herb to treat many infections, diseases. Haldi is helpful in treating acne. Even left out blemishes or any kinds of scars.
Haldi is basically in root stalks form. It is rhizomes. Rhizomes are bright yellow or orange in color. They are dried and grounded into a powder. Then used in the Indian kitchen as an ingredient in cooking or as a herb. Turmeric also used as a dyeing agent. Haldi is termed as the most powerful spice of all the spices. Taste like a little citrusy bitterness with a good unique natural earthy taste. Dry turmeric contains 69.43% carbohydrates, 6.3% proteins. Further 5.1% oils, 3.5% minerals, and also some other elements.
Talking about a bit of turmeric, what is the thing it doesn’t help in. A pinch of turmeric acts wonders to skin and health. Above all, it acts as an: –
- Antibacterial or Antiseptic
- Anti – multigenic
Ayurveda practice and research in India have relied on this spice for centuries. This is due to its distinct healing and flavoring agents.
Health Benefits of Turmeric. It acts as a source of carbs, mostly starch and fiber. Like all other spices, turmeric contains numerous plant compounds and nutrients. They are beneficial for the skin and our diet.
Some companies have started using spices as their business strategy. They add some of the cheap agents like food colors, wheat starch, etc in turmeric. So that in less amount they can have a huge profit. As a result, it is highly recommended to use Rhizomes. You can simply bring natural fresh rhizomes and make a fine paste. Hence use it for a healthy lifestyle.
Health benefits of using turmeric
- It acts as an antiseptic: – Turmeric acts as a healing agent for injuries and wounds. It is also a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. This is beneficial as an effective disinfectant from various infections. Moreover, it helps in digestion and weight-loss. It stimulates the bladder. Produces bile. This helps in better and faster digestion. Therefore keeps the weight in control. Turmeric has curcumin which has high antimicrobial properties. Curcumin is the ingredient that gives turmeric a bright yellow color. This is well-known as good antimicrobial properties.
- It acts as an antioxidant: – Natural turmeric acts as an antioxidant. It neutralizes free radicals because of its chemical composition. And generates hydroxyl radicals. These are the structural features of turmeric. This may contribute to antioxidant activity.
- It acts as an antiviral: – Best source treats all kinds of viral. It really helps in fever by maintaining the PH value of the body. Gives warmth to the body. And heals cough and cold. It also has anti-ulcer properties. Therefore treat ulcers in the body.
- Acts as an ant-inflammatory: -According to some studies, some of the compounds such as Ibuprofen and aspirin are least capable in relation to turmeric. It is an anti-inflammatory to treat heart problems, kidney problems, arthritis, joint pain. Also, bowel syndrome improves digestion, detoxifies the liver, helps control diabetes.
- It acts as an Anti-carcinogenic: – This simply means in treating cancer. According to research curcumin in turmeric may play a vital role in preventing cancer growth. Additionally killing cancer cells, and treatment side effects.
- It acts as an Anti – multigenic: – Curcumin a compound found in turmeric. It is necessary to prove its potential against different chronic diseases in humans. In the treatment of complex, multigenic, and chronic human diseases. Thus, it may act as an efficacious adjunct to mechanical periodontal. It also helps in boosting the immune system.
- Depression: – Research shows taking turmeric daily reduces depression symptoms in people already having depression or who is an antidepressant. Because of an active compound found in turmeric known as curcumin.
- Osteoarthritis: – According to research taking turmeric, can reduce pain. And improve function in people with osteoarthritis. Also, turmeric works as ibuprofen for minimizing pain in people with knee osteoarthritis.
- People with hyperlipidemia:- It is a condition in people who have High levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood. Turmeric tends to decrease the levels of fats in the blood called triglycerides. The effects of turmeric on cholesterol levels are amazing. It works like a wonder. But also ensure that you always choose the best turmeric to give nice results.
- Helps in treating hay fever (allergy-causing itchiness, watery eyes, sneezing, etc): – Having a small dose of turmeric helps to reduce hay fever symptoms. Such as itching, runny nose, sneezing, and congestion. Hay fever is usually self-diagnosed
Read More About – 7 Healthy Benefits of How to Eat & Drink Raisins Water for Fat Loss
Benefits of Turmeric (Haldi) for skin and Health
It permits a natural glow: – use a bit of turmeric with milk or in any kind of face mask. This helps in restoring the natural glow of the skin. Just rubbing a pinch of turmeric for 5-7 minutes helps with a natural glow.
It reduces acne scars: – leftover acne or any sought of marks can be treated with turmeric. Apply a small amount of turmeric with rose water or milk. So, it can help in healing the marks.
Useful in scabies treatment: – Microscopic mites cause scabies. . Thus leave a rash on the skin. Turmeric can treat these rashes. As it has a compound known as curcumin.
It is used to heal wounds: – any kind of wound can be treated with turmeric. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Insect bites can also be treated with this good herb.
It is a good source for collagen and body tissues: – collagen deposition, tissue remodeling, and wound contraction are treated by turmeric. Specific empathy for collagen and muscle fibers involves its role in the treatment of collagen and muscle disorders.
Here are five side effects of turmeric worth knowing.
- It may upset your stomach:- Turmeric is known to heal your body. Or we can say it’s hot in nature. Thus cause a burning sensation in your stomach. It may lead to abdominal pain and cramps. Therefore, try to use Haldi in a limited quantity a day. Two tablespoons of turmeric for the whole day is best.
- Risk of developing kidney stones: – Using Haldi in high quantity may increase the chances of having kidney stones. Because of its high inflammatory properties. Because of its blood-thinning effects alone. Pregnant women should avoid taking turmeric supplements. Adding small amounts of turmeric as a spice to food shouldn’t be a problem.
- May cause nausea and diarrhoea: – Turmeric result in the hot temperature of the body. Diarrhoea can be anytime prone to the body because of turmeric. Diarrhoea and nausea are the common diseases found in people who tend to consume more turmeric a day.
- May cause some allergic reaction: – People should be always sure as what they are allergic to and whatnot. In the case of Haldi, many people are seen as allergic to healthy. So, use it accordingly.
- Iron deficiency may occur: – People who consume a high amount of turmeric a day may have several kind od deficiencies. One of them is iron deficiency. Hence, people who take an accurate amount of turmeric are safe from any kind of disease and deficiency as well.
- Infertility: Turmeric may decrease testosterone levels. Also, sperm movement when taken by men. This can reduce fertility. Turmeric should be used cautiously by people trying to have a baby, in order to have a safe baby.